Wednesday, January 21, 2009

CB's: 'social networking' in da UP

While I was growing up, I went through a phase where Dad and I would sit for hours in the driveway so that we could talk to each other over the CB (Citizens' Band radio).  On a whim I threw an old radio and antenna in while packing to come to college and just got around to setting it up in my vehicle.  

Apparently CB's are an increasingly popular means of communication here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  They're much cheaper to operate (free) than cell phones, and our neighbor claims to have a range of at least several hundred miles with his giant lightning rod of an antenna.  My housemate just set up a radio in his room so that he can talk a few houses down to our neighbor.  Now my dinky little antenna with it's magnetic stick-on base seems a little underwhelming, but that's an upgrade for another day.

I find it interesting how things go sometimes.  I was out in the driveway today tinkering with some settings on my radio and talking to our neighbor who was only a few yards away.  It reminded me of how I used to sit in the driveway for hours with Dad...

No comments: