Monday, June 1, 2009

Dexter to Ann Arbor


(That's me finishing in the yellow.)

Yesterday, I completed my second Dexter to Ann Arbor Half Marathon.  I completed the run about four minutes faster than last year, which was mostly because I knew what to expect this time around.  My training schedule was quite short due to coming home from college a short four weeks before the race.  I would have liked much more time to prepare, as I experienced a few aches and pains during my crash training program that probably could have been avoided given a more gentle schedule.  The race itself seemed to go by quite quickly.  The weather couldn't have been more perfect.  It was a clear, cool day with no strong winds.  Registration this year filled to capacity at 2500 runners, and having so many people all around running is a great motivator.  The course this year went back to ending in downtown Ann Arbor after construction blocked the way last year.  The downtown finish was fun (and less steep), but it does make for more congestion for spectators and runners trying to find their spectators!  I did end up finding everyone I came with quite easily after the race.  My dad and Ashby's mom and sister ran the 5K race, and everyone seemed happy with their times.  I found it interesting that the 5K started about 15 minutes after the half marathon, and ended while we were still running.  Everybody looked pretty tired after the run, and I spent most of the rest of the day laying on the couch too sore to move much and nursing my blisters.  I'm feeling much better this morning after a good night's sleep, and am already hoping that I'll be able to do the run again net year.

No comments: