Sunday, February 24, 2008

Weekend Snowmobile Trip

This weekend has been a busy one for my snowmobile.  On Saturday, Ashby and I went for a ride of around 30 miles (round trip) down trail 3.  On the way back, we stopped at Quincy's restaurant for dinner.  Sunday was so warm (high of 38 degrees) that I couldn't resist going out again.  This time I went with my friend Tyler.  We left houghton and took trail 17 north to Calumet.  There, we managed to find the other end of trail 3 and took it back to Houghton.  It was nice to have new scenery on the way back, instead of the other side of the same trees.  Now the old Arctic Cat has well over 100 new miles on it since I brought it up here, and it should cover many more over the next several winters.  In two weeks I'll be going home for spring break, and I'll be bringing the Panther home with me.  Hopefully I'll get my fill of snowmobiling next weekend.

The snowmobile parking lot at Quincy's.  
I think there were more snowmobiles than cars!
The snowmobile trail through Calumet.
Sunset behind the Lift Bridge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you see the aurora borealis from Houghton?

Dan Mizell said...

I've not been successful in seeing it yet. Many nights are cloudy and the lights of campus are probably too bright anyway.

When seasonal roads are open, you can drive up to Brockway Mountain. It's far enough away from any light that the view is amazing. I haven't caught the aurora from there yet either. I'll keep trying, though.